Sunday, June 17, 2007

family time

The weekend away was wonderful. At the beginning of the week we had been hearing nice weather, later we heard rain. So I didn't bring my bike. Turns out I should have. The weather was gorgeous. Really, it couldn't have been more perfect. Mid 70's, sunny, not humid, not until today when we were leaving.

We all met at the Maine Diner on Friday afternoon for lunch. I rode up with my mom and stepdad, and we met my grandparents and aunt, and other aunt and her girlfriend for mostly fishy stuff, which is all good because it's Maine, and I'm starting to seafood now. A spec at least. Haddock here and there, crab cakes sometimes, and if I'm feeling frisky, scallops! So lunch was good, a really nice start to the weekend. My grandmother was wearing her little scarf which actually has real looking bangs attached. Which is just so cute, and and sweet, and a little bit sad too. And she just looked absolutely adorable as did my precious grandfather sporting his new shoes which ended up keeping him up with foot cramps later that night.

Our hotel was just fabulous. Views to die for, with the ocean just feet away (pictures to come!). I was in a suite with my aunt, with a porch that overlooked the water, right on the marina with boats docked right there. We each had our own room and bathroom, we could hear the ocean from the living room, it was just amazing. The massage that we all got treated to on Saturday was wonderful. Especially after taking two runs that morning. Runs that led right to the beach, and you can imagine how much I enjoyed that whole scene.

This morning was really nice as things wrapped up with a family breakfast for Father's Day. In light of some family illnesses lately, my grandmother's recent diagnosis, and just the more obvious fragileness of life itself as of late, it was just very very nice to get away and have some quality time with my loved ones. I feel so blessed to have the amazing family that I do. And now I need to stop lest the tears start up.

The weekend was just perfect. Only thing that would have made it better would have been if I got to see my father today. I called him today, far off in Reno. Although it's a great place to visit and travel to, and I love every second of my time there with him, sometimes I just wish he were still a car ride away, close enough to just see anytime, spur of the moment. I would have loved to have swung by and picked him up for lunch and a movie today like we used to do. We will just have to take a raincheck for September when I'm going out to see him again.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend, and Happy Father's Day to all of you too.

21 comments:

Airam said...

Glad you had a good weekend ...

now on to "business" if you know what I mean ... and I think you do ...

JustRun said...

Sounds like a great weekend. I always can't help but feel it was MY "luck" when the weather holds out.

egan said...

Airam, what's this "business" nonsense?

Brookem, this sounds like a really nice weekend. I'm glad you had a good time. I knew you should have used the ladder to mount that bike of yours. You've insprired me to call my dad. Thanks.

megabrooke said...

airam- i know all about business. and i cant wait to hear about your weekend too my dear! ghosts and all.

justrun- exactly! we were so amused that it was nice after the threat of t-storms (ha, i love saying that) all week!

egan- shhh about the business.
have fun calling daddo. happy father's day to you, by the way!

armalicious said...

What a wonderful weekend and it sounds like you stayed in an awesome place. I totally hear you on the quality time with loved ones. I've been pretty obsessed myself with spending a lot of time with my family. More than I did even a year and a half ago. You know?

Airam is cracks me up. As does Egan.

Anonymous said...

Friend, I'm glad your family weekend was wonderful. I cannot wait to see pictures!

megabrooke said...

arm- family time really rocks. ive been living for it lately.
they make me giggle as well. those goons.

brookelyn- thank you! i will post some soon and you'll probably see all of them. talk to you soon.

Appletini said...

WOW! Your weekend sounds amazing! I am sooo happy for you :)

Rambler said...

Looks like you had a nice weekend, happy fathers day to you too, from what I read I feel you are very much attached to your dad, I know how that feels, one of the reasons I didnt write about father's day.

Radioactive Tori said...

Sounds like a wonderful family weekend. I love peaceful time with loved ones.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a very good weekend! I'm so glad your family got to spend time together and that you all enjoyed it so much. I'm glad you're trying out seafood, its good stuff!

Anonymous said...

family time is so nice and important. Glad to hear things went well AND you got the exercise in!

megabrooke said...

appletini- it was great! thank you! hope you had a nice weekend as well.

rambler- we are somewhat close. hope you had a nice day/weekend yourself.

radioactive girl- hope you had some peacful relaxing time this weekend!

ruby- yes, im warming up to the seafood! :)

anne- thank you! love your new layout btw.

Trixie said...

Glad to hear you had a wonderful AND relaxing weekend. :)

Beth said...

What a great family weekend! The beach, a massage, and great food sounds perfect. I'm sorry you didn't get to see your dad. I didn't get to see mine either and it was hard. But at least we both have great dads that are only a phone call away!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for a great weekend Meg! And although it sounds like you are leaving me behind to be the solo member of this "I dislike seafood club", I'm happy for you. I bet a relaxing weekend with your very important family, was exactly what you needed.

Carrie said...

Sounds like a fantastic weekend! Never been to Maine, but the way you describe it makes me want to go!

Anonymous said...

thank you m'dear.
and brandy i am on that train too.

megabrooke said...

trixie- thank you!

beth- it's true! im lucky he's only a phone call away indeed.

brandy- and i too used to be so anti-seafood (which in many respects i still am)-- i wont do lobster or anything eely, slimy, gross texture-like at all.

carrie- i love love maine. we started off there but actually stayed in nh. but yes, maine is the bomb, for reals.

anne- how about tuna fish? can style?

Chris said...

I just finished reading about my friend who moved to Maine's return to MA for a family reunion this weekend - now I have this delightful story about your trip to Maine...I'd say I had a craving for seafood right now but I grilled some whole Trout for dinner today...S W E E T!

Aaron said...

Sounds like it's time to go back to Lake Tahoe to visit dad again!